Need a last-minute Secret Santa or gift-exchange goodie for that party tonight? Stumped for a little “something” to present your holiday hostess? Searching for just one more “stuffer” for that special stocking? Here’s a quick and clever solution to all of the above: a smart and stylish checkbook cover! It’s an easy variation on the iPad case from my November 23 post; one that you can probably whip up in an hour or less.
What You’ll Need:
Cotton batting, fusible web, lining fabric: one 7″ x 13″ piece each
Fusible web, outer (front) fabric: one 9″ x 15″ piece each
Fabric and fusible-web scraps, decorative threads, beads, buttons, trims, and other embellishments as desired
1. Fuse lining fabric, right side up, to batting using the 7″ x 13″ piece of fusible web.
2. Apply 9″ x 15″ piece of fusible web to wrong side of outer fabric.
3. Center prepared batting, lining side up, over fusible-web side of prepared outer fabric. Starting with the two long sides, turn outer fabric to the lining; press to fuse. Repeat for both short sides, squaring the corners; press. Clip excess fabric at corners on the diagonal.
4. Fold unit in half, lining sides together; press. Unfold, and then fold both ends of the unit inward to about 3/4″ from the center fold; press.
5. Unfold. Quilt and embellish as desired. The second area from the bottom will be the front cover. (Note: If your intended embellishments include raised items–such as buttons–close to the side and/or bottom seams, you might prefer to add those after completing the next step.)
6. Refold the two “flaps” back toward the center, lining sides together. Starting with a few backstitches, topstitch a 1/8″ – 3/16″ seam all around the perimeter of the unit. Finish with a few backstitches.
7. Insert your check register in the top pocket and your checks in the bottom. Finished!
Honestly, making these little cuties is addicting! Once I had completed the pink and green version up top for a gift exchange, and finished up the step-by-step sample for this post, I found myself thinking…hmmmm…who else?
My British friend and co-author Chris Porter loves the stagecoach- and covered-wagon checks that she selected for her American bank account, so I dug into my stash, and made this coordinating cover. (I just knew I’d find a good use for that boot button one day!)
My childhood friend Christy, whom I wrote about in my June 15 post, loves cats, so I made this to tuck into her holiday card this year.
Then there are my “baby” sisters, to whom I’ve dedicated my book, Cuddle Me Quick.
After verifying their favorite colors, I went to work.
Then, of course, I needed one for myself as well…
I hope you find a moment to treat yourself to something wonderful during this busy, festive season. Have a peaceful, safe, joyous, and healthy holiday…and “Happy Birthday” to all you Christmas babies out there!