This week it’s my turn to share my contribution to our Quilt-Along project, Blackbirds and Blossoms, Oh-La-La! If you have been following along with us, these pieces will complete the center of the quilt top. If you are newcomer to this fun group project, it’s certainly not too late to start. All of the instructions can be found in our Pattern Pages. Please join the fun!
I was given the task of designing a block for the corners of the quilt. The center floral designs seemed to call for the addition of birds. With this in mind, the idea of creating birdhouses to fit into the corners provided the perfect setting for a quartet of simple, whimsical birds. This is a super-easy-to-construct birdhouse block and it adds a nice corner element to the center floral medallion.
Here’s what you will need to make four Birdhouses:
House front: Four 6-1/2″ x 10-1/2″ pieces
House top: One 11-1/4″ square. Cut the square twice into quarters diagonally to yield four triangles.
Roof: Two 1-3/4″ x 42″ strips. Cut the strips to make four 1-3/4″ x 9-1/4″ pieces and four 1-3/4″ x 10-1/4″ pieces.
Background: Two 13″ squares. Cut each square twice into quarters diagonally to yield eight triangles.
1. Sew a Background triangle to each short side of the House Front pieces, aligning the bottom edges.
2. Use your cutting tools to remove the excess Background and straighten the top edge, as shown.
3. Sew a 1-3/4″ x 9-1/4″ piece of Roof fabric to one short side of the House Top triangle. Then use the 45-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut the excess fabric even with the bottom edge of the House Top.
4. Sew a 1-3/4″ x 10-1/4″ piece of Roof fabric to the adjoining short side of the House Top triangle. Then use the 45-degree angle marking on the ruler to cut the excess fabric, as shown. This completes the top half of the Birdhouse.
5. Join the top and bottom sections together, matching seams where the House Front and House Top pieces intersect.
6. Press the seam in the direction of the bottom half of the birdhouse.
Easy enough? Yes, of course! Please join me on Friday as I give instructions and hints for adding the Birdhouse opening as well as the birds.
Until next time, enjoy!